Monday, February 04, 2008

Zooey (to be continued...)


Clearly I've missed some stuff while I was away... I belated just read a post on music blog I Am Fuel, You Are Friends about the forthcoming M. Ward and Zooey Deschanel collaboration. Working under the new moniker She & Him, their debut album Volume 1 has a release date of March 18, 2008. Definitely go to IAFYAF to download their recent 4-song performance on KCRW. I've been waiting for some sort of Zooey album since hearing her croon with Leon Redbone on the Elf soundtrack.

Also check out the site for their record label Merge Records, which has the official bio blurb and a free song too. Bonus news: the album features 9 originals and 2 covers. So far they've got two concert dates in March lined up: the Noise Pop festival in San Francisco followed by the SXSW festival in Austin. Hopefully they go on tour or something.

While I was in L.A. I went on the Warner Brothers studio tour on a very rainy afternoon. With the writer's strike and not a heck of a lot was going on, although one of the projects in production was the upcoming Jim Carrey flick Yes Man co-starring Ms. Deschanel herself. Having read the book it's based on by British comedian/writer/TV personality Danny Wallace, I really have no idea who would have read it and thought "We have got to get Jim Carrey in this!", but I'm sure I'll check it out for the Zooey factor at least. By the sounds of it, they're just taking the basic idea of the book (a man who says yes to everything) and building a fictional narrative out of it.

Guess I've only got a month left to put together that Zooey cover post I've been mulling over for a year...

No comments: