Saturday, February 16, 2008

Little Ditty Tidbits

Just some news tidbits that came to my attention this week that makes me want to jump up and shout it to anyone who will listen. Because when I go bug-eyed and speak excitedly about the Dresden Dolls, Ditty Bops, or Zooey Deschanel I'm generally faced with shrugs and "Oh, I see"-s from my closest friends.

  • One of the perks of being Neil Gaiman as opposed to John Malkovich: Amanda Palmer will personally send you an advance of her debut solo CD "wrapped in lace" with DVDs! Damn you, Neil!

  • The Dresden Dolls (Amanda Palmer & Brian Viglione) were back in the studio in January re-recording some old school non-album tracks and leftovers from the Yes, Virginia sessions. The collection of "scattered" tracks tentatively titled No, Virginia is set to be released sometime this spring before her solo album comes out. Woo! Bonus Dresden Dolls action out of the woodwork!

  • It seems like Amanda has also been busy finishing off a full-length Evelyn Evelyn record with Jason Webley for anyone who missed the limited edition EP. She's also been collaborating with Estradasphere for (I think) her solo album. Estradasphere is responsible for the BEST Super Mario Bros. 2 cover ever.

  • [**UPDATED] Even more DD tidbits, courtesy of Amanda's blog (warning, don't click that link if you don't want to see close-up photos of her vocal nodes) that just updated around the same time I originally put up this post:
    • No, Virginia is likely going to be released late May.
    • Amanda's working on a companion songbook to accompany all the songs from both Yes/No, Virginia. The previously Dresden Dolls companion was a fantastic book of full piano transcriptions with hand-written notes and an extensive diary-like section with colour photos, drawings, and such.
    • Cover Alert: the Dresden Dolls teamed up with their pal Franz from The Hold Steady to record a couple covers, one for a Johnny Cash compilation and one for a Jonathan Richman compilation to be released later this summer or fall.
    • Amanda is going to be playing with the Boston Pops Orchestra June 19th and 20th. Sweet.


  • Once upon a time, Neil Gaiman introduced me to the wonderful world of the Ditty Bops. And there's a brand new Ditty Bops album in just a couple weeks! Summer Rains is due March 1st and is available for pre-orders from their online store. Sold!
    The Ditty Bops - Bye Bye Love [originally by the Everly Brothers]
    The Ditty Bops - Gentle Sheep
    The Ditty Bops - Aluminum Can
    -there's a tease of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue in here
    The Ditty Bops - Some of These Days [originally by Shelton Brooks]
    -from the Live Music Archive which has tons of great Ditty Bops live recordings

  • Zooey Deschanel is playing at the Largo tonight in LA. I managed to catch the Watkins Family Hour at the Largo when I went there in January and it's a phenomenal venue. Probably like dinner seating for 100 or less plus standing room. It'd be like a Zooey Deschanel concert in your living room. Thinking about it makes me sad that I can't be there. The Largo has a bunch of strict rules (i.e. no cell phones, electronics, talking during show, etc.) with one goal: it's all about the show/performer. And that's a refreshing attitude for music lovers. Don't forget her album with M. Ward is coming out March 18th. Note to self: get crackin' on that full Zooey cover post.

4 comments:

Larry "Liontamer" Oji said...

I'm definitely a fan of Estradasphere's "Super Buck II." They should do more video game music arrangements, though I'm biased.

Neil Gaiman's work on The Sandman is some of my favorite stuff in comics, along with Alan Moore. Always cool to read of another fan.

Thanks for the mention of Estradasphere and their OC ReMix, Fongolia, we appreciate it over here!

Larry "Liontamer" Oji
Head Submissions Evaluator, OverClocked ReMix
Creator, VG Frequency
http://www.ocremix.org
http://www.vgfrequency.com

Fongolia said...

Hey, no problem! I have a soft spot for the video game subsection of cover songs and OC Remix has so many covers it's staggering. And there are definitely a lot of hidden gems in there.

Unknown said...

Si, the Ditty Bops are quite wonderful. I'm sort of but not really related to Abby, she's my Aunt's (who married into the family)sister. I have to explain because whenever I say that she's my aunt's sister people go, "Wouldn't she just be your aunt?" Sadly no. But still, they're really cool gals to talk to and through my Aunt I get autographed copies of all their albums.

Fongolia said...

That's cool. By marriage still counts! You are officially the 4th most almost famous person to comment on my blog. The Ditty Bops are definitely high up on my must-see concert list. Speaking of which, their new album comes out today! Pre-orders shipping any day now...