Thursday, February 07, 2008

Last Night

Last night I became acutely aware of the number of covers of the Strokes' Last Nite there are.... I'm working on a couple more substantial posts, so let this tide you over until then.

The Detroit Cobras - Last Nite
Vitamin C - Last Nite
...Also samples Blondie's Heart of Glass
Jumbonics - Last Nite
Adele - Last Nite
The most recent Last Nite cover from Jo Whiley's Live Lounge show on BBC 1

Lenlow - Last Night [The Strokes vs. Traveling Wilburys vs. Kid 'n Play]
There should really be some more Traveling Wilburys covers in existence.

Serena Ryder - Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream [originally by Ed McCurdy]
From her 2006 album of mostly Canadian cover songs If Your Memory Serves You Well.
"Last night I had the strangest dream
I'd ever dreamed before
I dreamed the world had all agreed
To put an end to war.

4 comments:

boyhowdy said...

To be fair, there are a few Traveling Wilburies covers out there -- most notably Jenny Lewis and co. doing Handle with Care, and that live version of Tweeter and the Monkeyman by Headstones that was floating around the blogs for a while. And isn't "You Got It" by them? I've got a good Bonnie Raitt version of that.

I'd been saving these for a TW post of my own, but they're not all folk, so speak up (Fong and others) if you'd want to see 'em here...

Fongolia said...

In 2005, I did a Traveling Wilburys post. This was after Jenny Lewis' cover had recently been announced but not released. At the time all I knew of was the Headstones cover, which was not the live acoustic version but the hard rock version from their first album. As for You Got It, I'm pretty sure that's just Roy Orbison... It's a lot easier to pull together covers of the individual artists, though I am trying to track a couple Wilburys covers down.

Did you hear last week that CBS had picked up a Canadian series called Flashpoint? While it was making headlines because it looks like the network was sneakily working around the writer's strike issue, what grabbed my attention was that the two stars of the police drama about an "elite group of cops" were Enrico Colantoni (Papa Mars on Veronica Mars!) and Hugh Dillon, the lead singer of the Headstones-turned-actor. Now that's newsworthy.

Anonymous said...

You Got It is indeed an Orbison performed song; what always confuses me is that it's cowritten by Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne, which makes it pretty close to a Traveling Wilburys tune. I don't know about you, but as a cover tracker, I keep the "composer" data column on iTunes up at all times...makes it much easier to skim 80 gigs of digital files for covers of a given artist as post ideas come up.

The info about Flashpoint actor/musicians sounds like a post over at The Late Greats (actors who sing, musicians who act)...but maybe you can beat him to it on this cop drama, eh?

Fongolia said...

The Late Greats has been added to my Google Reader feeds. Nice blog... after reading through some posts, I was surprised to find out he wasn't Canadian considering the amount of CanCon on there! I've done some actors singing posts once upon a time. Though I don't know how much Headstones or Enrico Colantoni covers I can dig up. We'll see.. :)