Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Some Housekeeping

Time to attend to some housekeeping issues. I've got about 6+ blog posts on the go that I haven't been able to finish yet. Those will just have to wait for a bit. There are some recent developments that have been tying up most of my spare time in addition to my 2 jobs...

Quiet talk of a move to Vancouver
I lived in Vancouver for a couple months in the summer of 2005, taking some part-time courses in 2D animation. Actually, it was while I was living there that this blog got its lowly start. I've always been meaning to head back there (before 2010) and there's been some recent discussion with friends about that move happening at the end of this summer. I've even bought a ticket to an Andrew Bird show on September 1st in Vancouver... a sort of confirmation of intent, I suppose.

White Stripes Maritime Extravanganza
I alluded to it in earlier posts, but a couple friends and I are headed to the Maritimes on an epic roadtrip to stalk The White Stripes as they head through:

Moncton, NB -- Charlottetown, PEI -- Halifax, NS -- Glace Bay, NS

The hardest part would have been getting tickets, but we managed to get pre-sales for all of them including the elusive 10th Anniversary show in Glace Bay. They're playing at the Savoy Theatre, which only has a capacity of 761, so with a little luck we scored 3 tickets to that. Recently someone bought 4 tickets for this show on eBay for practically $900 CDN... yikes! That's coming up in July (in addition to the Edmonton show at the end of June), so expect to hear me talking about that non-stop in a month or so.

Ben Folds cruise
A week or so ago, they announced the official details on next year's Ben Folds Experience. Positively epic. I'm there!

The Killers & Hot Hot Heat
I'll be going to this show tonight at Rexall Place. I haven't really given Sam's Town a fair listen, but the one song I know, "Why Do I Keep Counting?", is a winner. Hot Hot Heat should be a blast.

Facebook
Now here's a time-killer. An unreasonable amount of time has been spent on this recently. I've been on for less than 48 hours, but I've been busily setting up my profile, uploading photos, and re-connecting with some old acquaintances. Come check out my photos of some memorable gigs (membership not required) with more to come!
Aimee Mann at the Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver BC August 5, 2005
The White Stripes at the Orpheum Theatre, Vancouver BC August 7, 2005
The White Stripes at the Orpheum Theatre, Vancouver BC August 8, 2005
The Dresden Dolls at the Bloor Cinema, Toronto ON July 15, 2006
The Living End at the Mod Club, Toronto ON August 1, 2006
This Facebook is scarily addictive...

Here's some random covers I've been meaning to post that don't really fall under any particular theme.
Wizo - Poupée de cire, poupée de son [originally performed by France Gall]
The Arcade Fire - Poupée de cire, poupée de son (live) [originally performed by France Gall]
The Wizo cover randomly came up on my iPod and I was hooked. Turns out it was the 1965 Eurovision winning entry for Luxembourg, written by Serge Gainsbourg. I later found out The Arcade Fire have been playing this at the live shows for their 2007 tour. I don't know what it is, but I just can't get into The Arcade Fire. I do like their version of Brazil though.

David J - Being Boring [originally by Pet Shop Boys]
The Pet Shop Boys Discography album is a must-own.

Transformer di Roboter - Stranger in Moscow [originally by Michael Jackson]
Unexpectedly found this cover when I first got my Mac and was trying to figure out how to turn off the boot up "Mac sound," which was used throughout this song. This is one of those curious instances of me listening to a cover and not seeking out the original. For no particular reason, I've never actually heard Michael Jackson sing this.

Baba Yaga - Back in the USSR [originally by the Beatles]
I love the opening vocals of this cover.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

RE:
Transformer di Roboter - Stranger in Moscow [originally by Michael Jackson]
...This is one of those curious instances of me listening to a cover and not seeking out the original. For no particular reason, I've never actually heard Michael Jackson sing this.

I don't want to sound like a complete nerd - but I LOVE this MJ song. I highly recommend listening to the original - while the lyrics are totally self-obsessed, the 'music' that accompanies it is amazing - (I especially recommend listening with earphones to get the full effect.)

As for the cover? AMAZING!!!
Thanks so much for posting this I will be looking up "Transformer di Roboter" to see what else they have.

T.

Fongolia said...

Well, now you've got me curious. Thanks for the recommendation!