Thursday, October 05, 2006

Who Ya!



10/16/76.
10/06/06.

It's almost exactly 30 years ago that my mom saw The Who live at the Coliseum. On Friday at the same venue, now known as Rexall Place, I'll be checking out what's left of The Who and it's sure to be a blast. I'm very pumped about it even though tickets are exorbitant and I only sprung for the so-called "cheapie" tix. The image above is from a photo-shopped art thing I did a long time ago using an unbelievable photo that my mom snapped at the concert, which she worked as an usher. Townshend, in a signature airborne move, Keith Moon below, Daltrey to the side wearing a slick striped shirt/suspenders combo, and John Entwhistle conspicuously unseen. Classic.

Who covered:
The Good
Yvonne Elliman - I Can't Explain
Dread Zeppelin - Baba O'Riley
Goldfinger - The Kids are Alright
Pink Cream 69 - Pinball Wizard
Roxy Blue - Squeeze Box

The Half-Decent
The Waco Brothers - Baba O'Riley
Killer Hayseeds - Squeeze Box
Frankie Randall - I Can See for Miles
Stereophonics - Who Are You
The Greenhornes - Mary Anne With the Shaky Hand
Rush - The Seeker
David Bowie - I Can't Explain

Quite Possibly the Worst Cover I've Ever Heard
Rod Stewart - Pinball Wizard

Who covers:
The Who - Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting) [originally by Elton John]
The Who - Shakin' All Over (live at Leeds) [originally by Johnny Kidd & the Pirates]

Who sampled:
Jason Forrest - 10 Amazing Years
Jason Forrest's endlessly brilliant War Photographer skillfully created a new song from Blood, Sweat & Tears samples. Here he creates a bombastic new song, sampling Who Are You with some bits of the Beatles thrown in for good measure.

No comments: