Wednesday, September 12, 2007

IT'S HAPPENING. LED ZEPPELIN.

Rumours have been swirling and today it was confirmed: the 3 remaining members of Led Zeppelin are reuniting for a one-off show November 26, 2007 at London's 02 arena.

My brain has officially exploded. This is the biggest rock news since, uh, The White Stripes' epic tour of Canada. By the way, did you hear they canceled the rest of their North American tour since Meg's suffering from acute anxiety? Poor girl. Hope she gets better and it's not ominous news for the future of the band.

Anyway, at first I scoffed at the £125 tickets and the thought of airfare to London... but then I thought (for better or worse) money's for chumps! Some people buy fancy cars, nice clothes, or big houses. I go on dream trips.

Tickets are only available via a draw that you register for here. Not long after the announcement, the site crashed due to traffic and as of now is still down.

When I get home from work I'm going to do a Zeppelin cover post. Woooooooooooo!

2 comments:

Jason T. Carter said...

Do think it's possible that this could lead to further shows, or perhaps a new album? Now that would be something. One show on the other side of the world doesn't really get my dander up.

Fongolia said...

It's possible, but I kinda hope it really is a ONE-OFF show, period. After all these years, I think a tour and album would trivialize the reunion, particularly since it's technically a charity gig. The novelty would wear off soon. I'm thinking of The Police, Genesis... even Van Halen coming up, just to name a few (of the many) recent reunions. And Led Zeppelin's better than all of them.

Besides, I'm gonna do everything I can to somehow get to that one show and a follow-up would would be severely disappointing (selfish, I know). On the other hand, I don't want to sit on my laurels and count on a tour either.

A new album is a whole other matter and I don't think it's a great idea, even though I myself would love to see what they could conjure these days. In short (and to be brutally honest), I doubt the general fanbase is clamoring for new material. Just the same old, same old... reliving the classics, which is basically the main reason why anyone goes to any reunion show. I think I'd settle for a recording of the concert for CD and/or DVD.

The AV Club had an interesting discussion of band reunions earlier this summer called "Are band Reunions a Waste of Time?" I have no idea how they made it through this article without even a passing mention of Led Zeppelin, for whom reunion rumours swirl practically every year.