Monday, August 22, 2005

Farewell, Mr. Moog

I heard that Bob Moog died yesterday. He was the inventor of the Moog synthesizer in the 60s and an early pioneer of electronic music. Moog synthesizers have been used (or so I'm led to believe) by artists such as U2, Rush, Genesis, Stevie Wonder, The Police, and Fatboy Slim (among many others). George Harrison also played a Moog synthesizer on a number of songs off the Beatles' Abbey Road album including Here Comes the Sun and Maxwell's Silver Hammer. So next time you listen to those songs, think: Moog.

Well, I can't pretend to have known these things before today... but I am familiar with some covers by Moog Cookbook, a group that plays cover songs, Moog-style. Mr. Moog, your contributions have been great, whether we knew it or not.

Are You Gonna Go My Way? [originally Lenny Kravitz]
Whole Lotta Love [originally Led Zeppelin]

No comments: