Friday, May 01, 2009

Some Random Friday links

The usual combo of busyness and laziness has prevented me from posting this week, though I've got a zinger batch of originals (famously covered) coming soon. For now, some links:

  • Ugh, Seven Nation Army cover #62: the Oak Ridge Boys' new album will feature yet another cover of Seven Nation Army. I'm all for White Stripes covers, but let's see some variation in song choices.

  • i (heart) music recently posted mp3s of a gig by The Lost Fingers from the CBC archives. In addition to their gypsy jazz takes on pop hits like Careless Whisper and Billie Jean, the set ends with a straight up cover of Belleville Rendez-Vous from The Triplets of Belleville. Nice! I'm looking forward to their show here in June as part of the Vancouver Jazz Festival.

  • Free Wilco cover of Woody Guthrie, donations encouraged.

  • The Ditty Bops have a new 6-song EP out, Songs for Steve.

  • Ben Folds' University A Capella cover album out now.

  • Covers of a different sort: comic book covers redrawn by other artists (discovered via Alex Robinson's blog)

  • As you probably know, Wolverine comes out today. Though I'm not terribly pumped about it, I do love that the character hails from Alberta and (if I remember correctly) his dad was a mountie or something. Should be good for some homegrown pride.

No comments: