Wednesday, June 18, 2008

ng+am+bf=omg.


I'm not one to resort to lol's, wtf's, or omg's, but seriously... OMG. I just read this on Amanda Palmer's blog about her upcoming solo record:

"neil gaiman is working with me on the book that is going to accompany the record. he's also writing some liner notes for the back of the album art, which is taking a bizarre turn into the 1960s.
he's an amazing man, this neil gaiman. (the ambien is kicking in). he is kind of a rock star trapped in a writer's body. i like the way he talks about things, it makes me feel like i could spends hours and hours with him and never get bored and never stop laughing and never forget for too long the profundity of silliness. i feel so lucky. all of these incredible people have come into my life lately. neil gaiman. ben folds. beth, my assistant who is helping me save my life so that i can go tour in peace.
"

WTF. I was agog two years ago when I found out Ben Folds randomly called up Amanda Palmer and said he was a fan. This led to the Dresden Dolls joining him for a few gigs in Australia, after which he offered up his own Nashville studio and services to produce Amanda's solo debut album. Two of my favourite artists teaming up, a subconscious wish realized. And now Neil Gaiman is working on liner notes and an accompanying book!?! Yes, THAT Neil Gaiman who's hung out on my sidebar as "my fav author" since this blog began. A veritable Fong Songs dream team. Well that's enough to reduce me to a blubbering fanboy. Sign me up! I was already excited about this album, but it's now the holy grail release of 2008.

Amanda Palmer - Such Great Heights [originally by The Postal Service]
Ben Folds - Such Great Heights (live on Myspace) [originally by The Postal Service]
Neil Gaiman - Such Great Heights [heh, I wish]

UPDATE: More cool news... special guests include the Dead Kennedys' East Bay Ray shredding on a track called Guitar Hero and one-time Polyphonic Spree member Annie Clark (AKA St. Vincent) joining Amanda for a cover from the 1945 Rodgers & Hammerstein musical Carousel. Zoƫ Keating, formerly of Rasputina, is another guest musician.

No comments: