Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Second Helping of Cake



Hi, folks - it's Boyhowdy, usually of Cover Lay Down, occasional gate-crasher here. Yesterday's post about Cake sent me to the stacks for one of my absolute favorite folk covers; your usual host hasn't heard it, so here, for everyone's enjoyment, is a beautiful solo acoustic cover of Mexico from undersung countryfolk star and ubiquitous country songwriter Kim Richey.

Kim Richey - Mexico [originally by Cake]

You may not have heard Kim, but if you listen to country music, you've heard her compositions; Kim has written songs for almost every major country artist playing today, from the Dixie Chicks to Brooks and Dunn to Tricia Yearwood. Yeah, country's not my thing either; I had to look it up. But never fear, Kim's own performance isn't country -- it's delicate acoustic folk, the real deal. Take a listen to another cover, this one from a pretty countrified Randy Newman tribute album called Sail Away I featured recently over at Cover Lay Down:

Kim Richey - Texas Girl at the Funeral of Her Father [originally by Randy Newman]

That's a far cry from the hipster-pop-meets-mariachi-band sound we started with today, isn't it? Not that there's anything wrong with Cake's unique approach to music -- Fong and I clearly share a love of this band with the tasty name. Last time Cake came through my neck of the woods, I had a previous commitment and had to miss the show. But since I've regretted it ever since, let's finish up today with one of the covers Fong says they played last night, plus another of my favorites, so we can all share in the jealousy.

Cake - War Pigs [originally by Black Sabbath]

Cake - Never, Never Gonna Give You Up [originally by Barry White; not to be confused with the Rick Astley song]

PS: Thanks to Fong for letting me hang out. Next time, I'll try to remember to bring some ice cream to go with all that Cake.

2 comments:

Christian Sinclair said...

What about Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps?

Great song. And a cover!

boyhowdy said...

Also a great one, CS...and there's more than that, too!

As Fong mentioned in the previous post, a number of great Cake covers were collected on their B-sides and Rarities release -- highly recommended, for coverfans.