Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Unfinished Business


OK, before I go, there's some last-minute things I have to talk about... because my brain's so frazzled right now, I'll just update this post as things come to mind instead of making a new post every time I remember something. First up, SHARON JONES & THE DAP-KINGS.

Simply put, they put on an amazingly live show. Sharon Jones is like James Brown reincarnated into a little "110 pounds of soul excitement". I definitely short-changed them when I neglected to post my Calgary Folk Fest Part II. They played Sunday at the festival and blew everyone away. Anyway, I just got word their 3rd album 100 Days, 100 Nights came out today. This album and their first two releases are available from the sweet digital music store AmieStreet.com. Amie Street is like iTunes or eMusic, but they've got this kinda pay-by-popularity system in place where all songs start at $0.01 and increase in price as more people buy them with a cap at $0.99. In fact, I just bought the entire new album for $3.08!!! Now that's a deal, in fact a steal, no matter how you look at it. You may recognize the horns of her backing band The Dap-Kings on Amy Winehouse and Mark Ronson's latest CDs. Sharon Jones herself was tapped to play juke joint singer Lila in the upcoming Denzel Washington film The Great Debaters, due in December. She'll be singing a cover of Lucille Bogan's That's What My Baby Likes plus a few other songs on the soundtrack.

I already bought my tickets last month for her December show in Vancouver. Less than $20! I've seen no-name bar bands for the same price. If she's coming through town, definitely go out of your way to see them. I sure don't dance, but I was dancing at folk fest. Go and buy the new album over here ($4.18 and rising!). I'm not ashamed to hawk this band like a madman.

Preview the album here:



Here she is at the Calgary Folk Fest getting down with fellow soul singer Bettye LaVette... I'll post some of her earlier cover songs later if I have time.

[**UPDATE: 12:24AM, Oct. 3, 2007]
Here's a couple Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings covers, one of which I've posted before but it's sweet so it's back.

What Have You Done For Me Lately? [originally by Janet Jackson]
This Land is Your Land [originally by Woody Guthrie]
Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) [originally by Mickey Newbury]

[**UPDATE: 12:59AM, Oct. 3, 2007]
I'd like to direct your attention to Stereogum's free cover tribute to REM's Automatic for the People. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but it's great that Stereogum is continuing this tribute series that started with a 10-year tribute to OK Computer. Interesting trivia that I learned earlier this year: did you know Zeppelin's John Paul Jones did string arrangements on Automatic for the People? That includes Drive (a personal fav) and Everybody Hurts.
Paul Anka - Everybody Hurts [originally by REM]

[**UPDATE: 5:17AM, Oct. 3, 2007]
Typical. Before a big trip I always stay up all night doing nothing in particular. In completely unrelated to covers news, I just read there'll a new Wallace & Gromit short film by next Christmas. Brilliant, Gromit, brilliant! Read the exciting news here.

Alright, that's it folks. I better get packing. See you in November!

No comments: