Sunday, April 16, 2006

Oingo Boingo

[EDIT: links fixed, I hope!]

Back in his pre-composer days, Danny Elfman headed a band called Oingo Boingo. He'd later be known for his movie and TV themes including the The Simpsons, Batman, and most if not all of Tim Burton's films. The Nightmare Before Christmas is particularly brilliant with Danny Elfman penning all the songs and providing the singing voice of Jack Skellington. Corpse Bride had its moments, but I'd say not as memorable as Nightmare. I don't really know too much about Oingo Boingo, but they dabble in sort of the same science fiction/experimental/satire/new-waviness category as Devo. And like Devo's covers of Satisfaction or Secret Agent Man, Oingo Boingo's covers are similar only in name to the originals. Just listen:

Oingo Boingo - California Girls [originally by The Beach Boys]
Oingo Boingo - You Really Got Me [originally by The Kinks]

There's this cult film called Forbidden Zone directed by Danny's brother Richard Elfman, which features the music stylings of The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo (they shortened their name later). I had borrowed the soundtrack from the library and enjoyed it so much that I bought the newly released special edition DVD of it. I guess it's one thing to listen to these wacky songs and another to watch the no-budget 90 minutes of "plot" tying them all together. Surrealist to say the least (with Knick-Knack as the midget king of the 6th dimension)... I don't really know what to say about it. I wish I could say I truly enjoyed it, but it was a bit pointless for my taste. That said, the soundtrack is fun, particularly the rendition of Minnie the Moocher with Danny Elfman as Satan.

The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo - Squeezit the Moocher (Minnie the Moocher) [originally by Cab Calloway]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I downloaded the Oingo Boingo covers of the Beach Boys and Kinks and they both cut off abruptly. Is there a problem with the mp3 files you uploaded or is there a problem with savefile?

Fongolia said...

It looks like you're right... I just re-uploaded them and put in new links.

Though maybe this is why I stopped using SaveFile in the first place. Meh.