Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Go Lalo Go


Today I just wanted to feature a couple classic themes composed by Lalo Schifrin. First off is the incomparable theme to Mission: Impossible. I remember when I was in elementary school staying up late to watch the old reruns of the 60s series... Man, Martin Landau was the coolest cat. Why is this the only show NOT on DVD yet? Perhaps another "Crazy Tom Cruise" scientology conspiracy? Who knows. I made fun of the M:I:III double colon action in an earlier post, though I guess it must have seemed sexy to the marketing whizzes because they're using it: "Hey, we can use TWO colons!"

The Plot

Mission: Impossible Main Titles

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - The Plot/Main Theme from Mission: Impossible
An extended melody of the first two tracks.

Adam Clayton & Larry Mullen - Mission: Impossible Theme (Mission Accomplished)
While Bono and The Edge were off writing the theme to Goldeneye, the other half of U2 had big budget spy franchise plans of their own... They did two renditions of the theme for the 1996 De Palma update; this less bombastic version (not featured in the movie) is off the sountrack, which was one of my first CDs ever.


The 2nd greatest Lalo Schifrin theme ever is to the quintessential Bruce Lee film, Enter the Dragon. Dr. No and Dr. Claw rolled into one? Showdown in the hall of mirrors? BOLO!? This movie rocked (unless my childhood memory betrays me). One thing that definitely endures is the chop-socky 70s funk theme. Here's the original and a couple o' covers

Enter the Dragon

Dennis Coffey - Enter the Dragon
...Obviously not funky enough for Dennis Coffey.

Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra - Enter the Dragon

No comments: