Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Originals from Rudy Clark

Ever heard of Rudy Clark? I hadn't until writing this post, but I know you know a couple of his songs.

James Ray - I've Got My Mind Set On You
A hit for George Harrison in 1988, take a listen to the drastically different original version from 1962 written by Rudy Clark and performed by James Ray. And that's not the only obscure original penned by Rudy Clark...

Merry Clayton - The Shoop Shoop Song
The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss), also a Rudy Clark song, was a hit for Betty Everett and has been covered numerous times over the years by artists such as The Supremes, Linda Ronstadt, The Hollies, and of course, Cher. Yet I was surprised to learn recently that the original recording of the song was by Merry Clayton, most famous for her intense wailing opposite Mick Jagger on the Stones' classic Gimme Shelter.

Merry Clayton - Gimme Shelter [originally by The Rolling Stones]
Despite having sung on the original, my gut instinct tells me this counts as a cover. An awesome soul version with some sweet horns, this is a strong contender for number one Gimme Shelter cover, though Ruth Copeland has claimed that spot in my books.

8 comments:

Dangold said...

Any way you can repost (or send me) "I've Got My Mind Set On You"?
I've been searching for it for a while, and came to this post too late to download.
Gracias.

Dangold said...

Many, many thanks!

Anonymous said...

Rudy Clark also wrote "Good Lovin'" recorded by the Olympics and The Rascals. He had a hand in writing "Everybody Plays The Fool" by The Main Ingredient. Am I too late to get in on the Shoop Shoop Mind Set action?
Like dangold, I've been searching for a while...

Thanks, Steven
w10901@mac.com

Jacob Owen said...

I'd love to get the Merry Clayton version of Shoop Shoop if you could re-up or send to me.

All I have is Betty Everett and I would love to have both.
Thanks!

Jake

Fongolia said...

Here you go. Would you mind passing along the Betty Everett version? I've actually never heard it. Cheers!

Wes Allen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hello Fongolia
If you still have a copy of the James Ray Got My Mind I would be ever greatful if you could repost it or send it to me. I just started a new music blog at doingittodeath.wordpress.com
You might be interested in some of the stuff I've posted. Or not, who knows. There are some interesting covers up there already though!
thanks!

Rennie Lopatic said...

My Oldest brother use to go to harlem in the 1960's and sang in those harlem clubs with Rudy clark. My brother who use to go with him is looking for Rudy, does anyone know what happened to him?