This Sunday I'll be going to a zinger of a show at the Commodore Ballroom here in Vancouver: Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings. I've been looking forward to this since I saw a couple shortened sets at the Calgary Folk Fest, but I think they'll be much better suited to a nightclub-like locale... not that they weren't great earlier, but it'll much more intimate than a festival stage. If you haven't already, seek out their latest release 100 Days, 100 Nights. Definitely one of my favourite albums of the year. Here's a couple of their sessions from KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic, the latest being from just a couple days ago.
Live on Morning Become Eclectic May 12, 2005
1. DJ Intro
3. How Do I Let a Good Man Down?
4. How Long Do I Have to Wait For You?
5. Your Thing is a Drag
7. What If We All Stopped Paying Taxes?
8. This Land is Your Land [originally by Woody Guthrie]
9. My Man is a Mean Man
Live on Morning Become Eclectic December 3, 2007
1. DJ Intro
2. Casella Walk
3. Intro / I'm Not Going to Cry
4. Keep on Looking
5. Be Easy
7. Let Them Knock
8. What Have You Done For Me Lately? [originally by Janet Jackson]
9. How Do I Let a Good Man Down?
10. 100 Days, 100 Nights
12. Nobody's Baby