Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Some Live Stuff

Live covers are usually pretty hit and miss. Here's a batch, you decide.

Drew Danburry - A Metaphorical Pour Out of a 40
[originally "Forgot About Dre" by Dr. Dre feat. Eminem]
Drew Danburry kindly sent me this cover, which if I hadn't looked it up I wouldn't have known what it was a cover of... I guess the only time I listen to Dr. Dre or Eminem is via ironic white guy covers. Check out his original stuff too, which is sort of an indie/folk/experimental blend of goodness (Here's one I like called Tree on Wheels). You may just discover a new favourite artist. Thanks Drew!

Mike Ford (of Moxy Früvous) - Five Years [originally by David Bowie]
At the start of this particular gig, each of the 4 members of the Früvous performed a solo song. Luckily the Moxy Früvous fans (AKA Früheads) are impeccable tapers.

Zwan - I'm Eighteen [originally by Alice Cooper]
If you didn't know (I sure didn't), Zwan was the short-lived band Billy Corgan started up after the Smashing Pumpkins broke up.

Shakira - Back in Black [originally by AC/DC]
I have no idea why Shakira would cover this and you'd think it'd be a complete disaster. The first minute or so is surprisingly sweet with some funky keyboardin' going on, then all of a sudden they "kick it into high gear" (i.e. perform the blandest copycat/karaoke cover imaginable). So it's only a 75% disaster.

Rilo Kiley - Such Great Heights [originally by The Postal Service]
Normally I can't stand listening to the audience, which is why most live recordings suck. Here, it's oddly charming that EVERYBODY knows the lyrics and sings along.

Warren Haynes - Lucky [originally by Radiohead]
I don't listen to a lot of Radiohead, but I distinctly remember this track from an episode of Six Feet Under where the Fisher family is burning old belongings in a mondo bonfire. If I recall correctly, the episode fades to white rather hauntingly as Thom Yorke sings "We are standing on the edge . . ."

EMF - Search and Destroy [originally by The Stooges]
Here's an unlikely cover from that Unbelievable band. Apparently these days, they're crumbelievable. I"m not sure we get that ad up here in Canada (I haven't seen it), but Stephen Colbert was all over it like crumbly cheese on whatever crumbly cheese goes on.

Ben Folds Five - Twin Falls [originally by Built to Spill]
This song brings back fond memories of playing 7-Up in elementary school. What a ridiculous game.

No comments: