Monday, August 30, 2010

Fong Songs 101 All-Time Covers: #28 to 25

=============================================
Just joining us?
I'm counting down 101 of my all-time favourite covers before packing this blog away in the attic.
Read my countdown preamble here.
=============================================

A Set of Numbers
28. Aimee Mann - One [originally by Harry Nilsson]
The genius of Harry Nilsson has been slowly revealed to me over time via cover songs, the earliest example being Aimee Mann's beautiful cover ofOne from the Magnolia soundtrack, which also incorporates a tidbit of Nilsson's Together. Whether it's been Sean Nelson of Harvey Danger, The Bicycles, or Andrew Bird, I've continued to discover artists I admire covering Harry Nilsson. Once I started to dig a little deeper into his music, I found he did his own fair share of cover songs while also finding some more songs that I recognized which were in fact Nilsson originals, for example He Needs Me from the Popeye soundtrack (via the Punch Drunk Love soundtrack).

27. Gilberto Gil - Three Little Birds [originally by Bob Marley & The Wailers]
Whenever I hear every little thing is gonna be alright in this joyous rendition of the Bob Marley classic, I actually believe it.

26. Moxy Früvous - Love Potion No. 9 Medley [originally performed by The Clovers]
I never got to properly see Moxy Früvous live during their heyday, but by all accounts it was a show not to be missed. Known for their humourous between-song banter, impeccable musicianship, and the occasional improvised song, you could be guaranteed no show was exactly the same. Unless they improbably reunite after their 10 year and counting hiatus, I'm left listening to their Live Noise album and the wonderful collection of live recordings over at the Live Music Archive, which where this fantastic medley comes from. It includes random snippets of the Stereo MCs, Level 42, Alanis Morissette, Bee Gees, and CSNY anchored on both ends by Love Potion No. 9.

25. Tennessee Ernie Ford - Sixteen Tons [originally by Merle Travis]
There are three songs that I strongly associate with Art class in grades 11 and 12: Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, Rosemary Clooney's Mambo Italiano, and Tennessee Ernie Ford's Sixteen Tons. No doubt there were countless other songs being played while we worked away in the studio, but these songs would come up repeatedly and they were hard to ignore.

Tomorrow the Fong Songs 101 countdown will test if the song truly remains the same with some Zeppelin covers.

No comments: