Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

For a few years, my most coveted cover album was Rollin' by Kenny Rogers & The First Edition, the soundtrack to their variety show from the early 1970s that was filmed in Toronto. As far as I can tell, it was only released on vinyl so it was quite a task to get a hold of it, which I finally did in April 2009 from an online music seller in Montréal (search musicstack.com to find your own vinyl copy!). The main reason I hunted this down so vigorously was my obsession with finding covers of Elton John's Border Song, but the band's propensity for Beatles covers was an added incentive. Their spirited, horn-infused cover of Get Back is my favourite of the album.

Kenny Rogers & The First Edition
Rollin'
Jolly Rogers 5003

1. Good Vibrations [originally by The Beach Boys]
2. The Long and Winding Road [originally by The Beatles]
3. Sylvia's Mother [originally by Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show]
4. Joy (Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring) [originally by J.S. Bach; arrangement by Apollo 100]
5. Paperback Writer [originally by The Beatles]
6. Get Back [originally by The Beatles]
7. Border Song [originally by Elton John]
8. I Need You [originally by America]
9. Coconut [originally by Harry Nilsson]
10. Morning Has Broken [originally by Eleanor Farjeon; arrangement by Cat Stevens]
ZIP FILE

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Any chance of a repost for "Kenny Rogers & The First Edition - Rollin'"? I missed this beauty post and was hoping I could get a copy for my covers collection. Thanks so much for a great blog!

Fongolia said...

As you wish. :)
Rollin'