Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Calgary Folk Fest, wow.

It was a hot, sun-soaked weekend in Calgary for their folk festival. And damn, what a weekend. The music was great and non-stop for the 2.5 days I was in attendance. I came to see the Squirrel Nut Zippers (who did not disappoint in the least) and heard a bunch of new artists (not necessarily new, but new to me) that were fantastic. Polyjesters, Eleni Mandell, Mary Flower, Watermelon Slim (unbelievable!), Final Fantasy, William Elliott Whitmore, the hummers... plus some familiar faces: Hawksley Workman, Sarah Slean, Great Big Sea, Chumbawamba, Geoff Berner (who I didn't even see, there was so much going on), Don MacLean, not to mention Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, who I was looking forward to beforehand, but had no idea how explosive their performance would be. I don't dance, but I was a dancin' fool.

Photos, music, and words to come at a later unspecified time...

No comments: