Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Oscars are funny.

...As in a big joke! A little Oscar commentary for you whether you want it or not.

Shirley Bassey - Big Spender (Wild Oscar mix)

I saw Children of Men last night and it was fantastic. I didn't even know they were announcing Oscar nominations today, but I'm already disappointed and shocked that this film did not get more recognition. There were literally 4 or 5 jaw-dropping moments of brilliant filmmaking that I haven't experienced in a long while, particularly throughout 2006. Comparing it to some of the blockbusters of last summer (emphasis on the BUST), it inspired more wonder and awe than Superman Returns, was more thrilling than Mission: Impossible 3 (ugh), and was a whole lot smarter than The Da Vinci Code, though I guess that's not much of a feat all things considered. Children of Men could've also been nominated in the Visual Effects category since it's plentiful effects are more subtle but no less impressive (in fact, probably more impressive) than Superman, Pirates, or Poseidon.

Little Miss Sunshine was a bit of a shock for Best Picture. It was well-made and enjoyable, but still... Perhaps it's the long delayed make-up nomination for National Lampoon's Vacation back in '83.

As much as I love The Departed and Martin Scorsese, I'm kinda torn as to whether I actually want him to win. On one hand, he's much deserving and it wouldn't be a pity vote (I'm glad he didn't win for The Aviator or Gangs of New York, which were good but...). But it'd be just as cool for him to join Kubrick and Hitchcock as one of the greatest filmmakers to never actually win a Best Directing Oscar. Hmmmmm... he should probably get it.

I laughed that Dreamgirls didn't get a Best Picture nod. I haven't seen it so I can't judge it too harshly, but I thought it was ridiculous that it was hailed as a Best Picture frontrunner before they even started making it. Perhaps there's something to be said here about counting unhatched chickens...? Take that, suckers.

I also think it's atrocious that Dreamgirls is nominated for THREE songs in the same category OUT OF FIVE. Yeah, it's the most nominated film this year with 8, but I repeat, THREE of those are in the same category. It's a musical for crying out loud, it practically takes over this category by default. I can't think of past examples where this has occurred, but maybe they should consider a nomination cap for this category.

Click - Could they not have found a better movie than this for the make-up category?

Animated movies is another category that could use some reconsideration. It seems like a great idea when, say, Spirited Away wins, but let's recount some past nominees: Treasure Planet, Ice Age, Brother Bear, Shark Tale (blech!), Shrek, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. To be sure, there's some entertainment to be found in there, but Oscar-winning films? I think last year's crop of Wallace & Gromit, Corpse Bride, and Howl's Moving Castle may have been the only competitive year since the award's inception. Nominees are basically any animated movie that comes out each year, with box office taken into consideration of course. Mind you, I've been ranting about how much a joke the Oscars are, I guess this category is not that far-fetched. I can already see next year's nominees: Shrek 3, Ratatouille, and The Simpsons movie.

Bah! I'll probably end up watching them anyway... like last year, and the year before, and every year... See you at the Oscars!

No comments: